Bayhealth Hospital, Sussex Campus opened its doors yesterday to patients in southern Delaware. Here are five things to know about this important new hospital:
- Located in Milford, Delaware, the new hospital will better serve the rapidly growing population in this seaside region. The previous downtown site – home to Milford Memorial Hospital – was landlocked with no room to grow without disrupting the residential communities that surround it. By moving its main campus to a 165-acre greenfield site, strategically located between Kent and Sussex counties, the hospital has gained seven times more space than its previous 22-acre location, giving it ample room to grow along with the community.
- With a tight schedule and budget, the hospital was designed and delivered via Integrated Project Delivery (IPD). In partnership with construction management company Whiting Turner, we utilized IPD to reduce waste and redundancies in the design process while increasing value — delivering the project three months earlier than comparable healthcare projects. In addition to providing architecture services, CannonDesign provided engineering, interior design, cost estimating, healthcare consulting, lighting design, technology, commissioning and environmental graphics services on the project.
- The overall design inspiration for the hospital was inspired by southern Delaware’s natural landscape and its proximity to the ocean. “Driving around southern Delaware, we found cornfields blowing in the wind, waves crashing onto the beach, and sand rippled after a summer storm,” said Troy Hoggard, CannonDesign’s lead designer on the project. This inspiration influenced the design of the hospital in literal ways; for example, wave-like ripples are found on the exterior facade and on wood features throughout the interiors to emphasize the healing power of nature.
- The six-story hospital includes 128 private, same-handed patient rooms. Prioritizing the patient experience, each patient room provides views to the outdoors and ample space for family members and visitors. To accommodate future growth, the hospital includes shelled space for the addition of more patient rooms as needed
- The 440,000-sf facility includes an expansive emergency and trauma center. At three times the size of the old emergency department, it houses 30 patient bays including two trauma bays and a behavioral health suite. The hospital also includes a 70,000-sf outpatient center housing an integrated cancer center as well as outpatient rehabilitation, surgery, diagnostic services and more.
Congratulations to Bayhealth on the successful opening of your new hospital! We’re honored to have played a part in your journey of transformation.