Stephen Blair
Stephen Blair
April 27, 2020

Six Ways Colleges and Universities Can Use Design to Retain STEM Students

Stephen Blair
Stephen Blair

Opportunities abound for STEM graduates today, but preparing enough STEM graduates to drive the scientific breakthroughs and technological innovations of tomorrow is a daunting task for colleges and universities across the country.

The U.S. President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology predicts that in the next decade, we will need approximately 1 million more STEM professionals than we will produce at our current rate.

The challenge is clear: universities need to attract more students to STEM programs. But once these students have enrolled, another challenge begins to unfold: only about 40% of students who enroll in STEM programs graduate with STEM degrees. The remaining 60% switch to non-STEM fields or drop out of college entirely.

This paper explores this challenge and introduces six ways universities and colleges can harness architecture and interior design to attract and retain STEM students.

Download our paper.