Revitalizing a Historic Church to Serve a Growing Campus
Dedicated in 1926, this decommissioned Byzantine-Lombardic church is one of Buffalo’s most famed historic landmarks, recognized for its Gustavino-tiled dome. When Canisius College needed to strengthen its campus with a new auditorium facility without significant new capital investment, it transformed the building into a multi-purpose facility.
To preserve the beauty of the original structure, we “inserted” new interior elements—including a stage, two-level balcony, and significant acoustic infrastructure—without altering the historic shell. As part of the project, the exterior was also restored and re-pointed with additional landscaping and a new balcony at the front, serving to highlight the formal entry.
In 2003, the American Institute of Architects awarded the project an Institute Honor Award for Interior Architecture, the highest honor bestowed upon architectural projects.
The respect for the original architecture is clear, and the lightness of the gesture helps to create the soaring feeling in the space. The technology becomes the new ornament in an old ornamented space.
– American Institute of Architects – National Honor Award for Interior Architecture