Renovating an Existing Space to Foster Science Education
Canisius College’s Science Hall builds on the positive momentum generated by a facilities master plan that catalyzed a $115 million investment in the campus and 17 major capital projects over a 10-year period. With one-third of Canisius freshman majoring in the college’s nationally ranked science programs each year, the building represents a strategic investment in one of the college’s core strengths.
To house its innovative new science program, Canisius purchased a former BlueCross BlueShield building and parking pavilion — itself a former Sears Roebuck store that operated from 1929 to 1980 — located in the heart of campus. The goal was to transform the building from its previous uses into an innovative hub of integrated science programming, allowing cutting-edge curricular and research initiatives to take place. The building was designed to educate scientists of the future, training tomorrow’s biologists, chemists, computer scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and physicists to think as interdisciplinary scientists.
Serving a pivotal role of linking the city campus in a holistic manner, the building features a central “spine” walkway, which allows students easier access from the main campus and residence halls to the athletics area. The science hall makes the key connection to the once disparate campus fabric along Main Street.