SALEM PUBLIC SCHOOLS FACILITY MASTER PLAN
Start here, stay here.
In 2021, Salem Public Schools has launched a process to develop a long-range Facility Master Plan (FMP) in partnership with district, school, and community stakeholders.
This comprehensive plan will be founded on guiding principles, objective data, and stakeholder voice, with an inclusive and transparent planning process, and will inform critical facility-use decisions and identify and prioritize equitable capital improvement projects for 2022 state grant application, resulting in lasting improvement for the future generations of Salem students.
In addition to addressing the physical infrastructure of our facilities, the FMP process will consider fundamental operational aspects of the District, such as educational programs, grade configurations, school size and location.
This vitally important project is being facilitated by CannonDesign, a national educational architecture and planning company with a major office in Boston, with actively-engaged school stakeholders participating in three ways:
- District Planning Committee (DPC) comprised of educational leaders who will review baseline facility and student demographic data, develop draft long-term operational and capital options, consider community input, and inform final recommendations to Salem Public Schools leadership.
- Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SAC) comprised of cross-sectional representation of Salem’s diverse school communities – students, parents, teachers, and community members. The SAC will co-author a community survey, act as liaisons to the community in two open-invitation at-large community forums, and provide input into draft long-range facility options proposed by the DPC.
- Community Forums (CF) at least two open-invitation in which the community at large will have an opportunity to provide input into FMP goals and priorities, review proposed options, and provide feedback through virtual meetings and online surveys. We anticipate participants from the DPC and SAC groups will also attend the Community Forums.
Community Survey #2
- Survey #1, conducted in January 2022 was used to collect community input on decision-making criteria for the SFMP.
- Survey #2 asks for your preferences about specific facility options.
- Please take about 15-20 minutes to answer questions including a handful about you that will help us ensure representative voice from all Salem school communities.
- This survey will remain open until Feb 28, 2022.
There are several key events ahead, including.
Community Forum 2: School Options
- Feb 14, 6pm Zoom link (virtual)
- Feb 16, 2pm Horace Mann Room 353 (in person)
- Feb 16, 6pm Saltonstall auditorium (in person)
- Feb 17, 745am, Bentley cafeteria (in person)
- Feb 17, 6pm Collins library/IMC (in person)
All Meetings Are:
* Open to the public
* Conducted in English and Spanish.
* Feature a presentation and small group discussion activities.
* Accompanied by a community survey.
Questions? Comments? Looking to get in touch? Don’t hesitate to reach out below.