John is a design leader and storyteller. His work is driven by a fervent belief that embedded in every design idea is a powerful story. A story of people, of communities, of institutions. These richly textured narratives permeate each project he designs, making his architecture approachable, honest and timeless.
Working across all scales and typologies—urban design, civic, academic, residential, health and commercial—John adheres to a modernist design approach of functionality and elegant simplicity. A voracious reader, active athlete and avid photographer, he works his body and mind with aerobic intensity, which helps to clear his mind and mentally process design challenges in his work. In the very best way, he is truly never at rest.
A few clients and collaborators
- Carnegie Mellon University
- New York University
- University of Maryland
- University of Pennsylvania
- Dickinson College
- Northwell Health
- Graduate of Cornell's College of Architecture Art and Planning, and Harvard's Graduate School of Design
- Third-generation architect, born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- Leading his own design firm in New York City prior to joining CannonDesign
- Award-winning design work produced over three decades